One thing about emergencies is that you cannot predict how long they last.
For instance, when a hurricane hits your area, you do not know how long you will have to shelter yourself.
Due to the same reason, it makes sense to carry something you can cook with instead of taking ready-to-eat food. I mean, you cannot take too much ready-made food without making your bugout bag a hefty affair.
On the other hand, if you can get a portable stove inside the survival kit, you can carry multiple packs of raw material and last longer. It is why experts advise you to get one of the best survival stoves for emergencies.
Now, because emergencies vary, you may also have different kinds of emergency preparedness. The bugout bags of people who regularly face hurricanes and people who come across earthquakes are very different.
Besides, you have to consider how long you want to stay away, as we said. Therefore, we cannot recommend the single perfect survival stove for emergencies.
Instead, we have narrowed down the options from a variety of categories. In this way, we could include survival stoves from multiple categories based on size, fuel type, performance, and ideal usage conditions.
Based on a few factors like customer reviews, design, and features, we have ranked these portable/survival stoves. We hope the collection helps you make the right choice.
REDCAMP Wood Burning Camp Stove
- Type: Camping Stove and Grill
- Size: 8.3” x 5.9” x 5.5”
- Material: 430 Stainless Steel
- Fuel: Wood
- Weight: 1.9lbs
If you do not want to spend too much on a survival stove but want something practical, you should consider the REDCAMP Wood Burning Camp Stove.
This portable stove/grill combines the best construction quality, ergonomic design, and portability. It is also an excellent choice for those unpredictable situations when you may want to use multiple types of fuels.
Thanks to its modern design and features, the REDCAMP stove can help you survive in the wild for several weeks or months.
- REDCAMP has used 430 stainless steel to construct this portable survival stove. It helps the device in two ways. The construction keeps the stove’s weight to a minimum of 1.9lbs. So, it will be easy to carry this device around. Two, the durable construction can handle a wide variety of pans. As you can expect, the design is also heat-resistant to a great extent. It means you can take your survivalist cooking skills to a whole new level.
- The REDCAMP Wood Burning Camp Stove design is very versatile in addition to being sturdy and durable. It means you can use the stove for different cooking needs. For instance, if you want to grill some meat you hunted from the wild, you can use the grilling panel. Otherwise, you can use one of the available skillets to cook a proper meal. As long as you provide a good amount of fuel from below, this stove can catch up with your emergency needs.
- Even though the REDCAMP Wood Burning Camp Stove uses wood as the primary fuel, you can consider some other options as well. For instance, you can use synthetic fuels and twigs to ensure good heat during the cooking process. Some alternatives include leaves, solid fuel tablets, coal, and spirit burner. The best part is that the stove can conform to your situation. This multi-fuel design makes this portable stove the ideal pick for emergency bugout bags.
- Despite packing so much power and durability, this burning camp stove is portable to the core. It has a total weight of just 1.9lbs and measures 8.” X 5.9” x 1.5” when folding. 1.5 inches is an incredible figure by any standard. Because all parts of the stove snap so ideally, you do not have to worry about any protruding points, either. We should also mention how ergonomic the controls on this stove are from a user-friendly perspective.
- The REDCAMP Wood Burning Camp Stove does not have any drawbacks. However, this stove might not be the ideal emergency cooking solution for large families. If you want to cook heavy-duty meals, which need better surface area and skillets, this stove would not be perfect. In that case, you should consider going for a larger variant.
- It is not exactly an extra feature, but the REDCAMP Wood Burning Camp Stove ships with all things you need to start a survivalist cooking project. As we said, the grilling panel is a great fit when you want to deal with some sausages or freshly-hunted meat. The stove also has a mechanism to keep the ash quite effectively. All these features get a boost from the ventilation-friendly design as well.
If you are looking for the best survival stove that does not cost a fortune, the REDCAMP Wood Burning Camp Stove is an excellent choice. The versatile design lets you use the stove for conventional cooking, grilling, and barbecuing.
Conveniently, you can use various fuels to light up fire on this stove. In the end, the package is quite comprehensive as well. The stove comes with an incredible packing bag as well.
OAKVUE Foldable Camping Stove
- Type: Camping Stove
- Size: 8.07” x 7.28” x 1.34”
- Material: Stainless Steel
- Fuel: Wood
- Weight: 1.1lbs
If you think the previous survival stove has a generic design, you must consider what the OAKVUE Foldable Camping Stove offers on the front. It comes with a design that improves the overall performance and heat distribution within the stove.
Simultaneously, the plan does not compromise the quality or sturdiness of the device. Considering that you can carry this stove as quickly as you did the last one, we think it is a superb choice for many people.
- As we said, manufacturers have designed the OAKVUE Foldable Camping Stove to withstand a variety of cooking requirements. Regardless of the pot you use for cooking, the design offers sufficient power and protection. The entire structure uses ventilation holes that increase the airflow and decrease the cooking time. Despite the seemingly complex design, setting up this portable stove does not take more than a few seconds.
- Like we saw with the final product, the OAKVUE Foldable Camping Stove can also work with multiple fuel sources. While wood is the best option, you can also turn to solid fuel cells and charcoal. Given that you cannot predict fuel flow during emergencies, this multi-source design can boost how useful the camping accessory is. Regardless of the fuel you use, the material stays sturdy and lasts a lot. It is also very safe.
- This portable stove goes a step further than being foldable. You can remove almost every part of the stove and reattach them after cleaning. It is a great feature to have if you are into heavy-duty cooking in the survivalist scene. Even after preparing meals for many people, cleaning the stove will be an easy task. We should also mention that the built-in design does an impressive job of taking care of debris.
- The OAKVUE Foldable Camping Stove also happens to be one of the most lightweight stoves you can get for camping needs. It weighs only 1.1lbs, which is barely a noticeable amount of weight to add to your bugout bag. However, you should not underestimate the performance of the design since the primary pane can handle skillets and pans that weigh multiple times the device itself. This is an area where the real power of stainless steel is visible.
- While the overall system can handle various containers, we cannot suggest this stove as an ideal option for continuous cooking. If you have a family with many members, you may want to get more than one unit of this stove. Considering that the product costs less than a good cup of coffee, even that would be a reasonable decision.
- We noticed that the manufacturer behind the OAKVUE Foldable Camping Stove includes quite a few accessories in the package. These come in handy when you are in an unpredictable situation. It comes with a collapsible fire bellow and a telescopic fire tube igniter. The second accessory will help you in lighting fire even when the environment is rough. Considering that the product does not cost much, it is nice to see these accessories.
The OAKVUE Foldable Camping Stove checks all the necessary boxes as a survival stove for emergencies. We are talking about sturdy construction quality, compatibility with multiple pans, and running on many fuel types.
The manufacturer has also included some useful accessories in the package. The stove is portable and worth-carrying-around as well.
Ohuhu Stainless Steel Backpacking Stove
- Type: Camping Stove
- Size: 5.3” x 5.3 x 5.3”
- Material: Stainless Steel
- Fuel: Wood
- Weight: 0.8lbs
If you are looking for a low-cost survival stove that does not compromise in significant aspects, you should check out the Ohuhu Stainless Steel Backpacking Stove. This product does not offer all the benefits we saw in the previous two options.
However, it can help you fulfill the basic cooking needs when you are in a rough place with your family. We also noticed that the survival stove had been designed to save as much space as possible.
- Compared to most of the market’s survival stoves, the Ohuhu Stainless Steel Backpacking Stove is easy to set up. You can also insert many elements, such as wooden branches and twigs, to improve the stove’s cooking experience. Altogether, the intelligent design compensates for the small format of the stove.
- The Ohuhu Stainless Steel Backpacking Stove measures only 5.3” x 5.3” x 3” when folded. It means you will have no trouble carrying the stove in your backpack. The weight of 0.8lbs means you can get a couple of these stoves to keep in the bag. If the emergency wants you to start communal living, these stoves will help you a lot.
- It is excellent that the survival stove comes with the necessary hardware for cooking and barbecue. You can count on the protruding stands while placing a pan or skillet on the stove. Otherwise, the built-in barbecue stand will offer you enough surface area to deal with some sausages or meat. In both cases, the stove provides a stable cooking experience.
- We should also appreciate the manufacturer designing the Ohuhu Stainless Steel Backpacking Stove in multiple layers. Thanks to this design, you get dedicated places for different elements. For instance, there is a place where you can keep solidified alcohol fuel in addition to the typical chamber to keep twigs and dried wood.
- There are not many problems with the survival stove per se. However, some customers say that the manufacturer could improve the ventilation options. If we keep that apart, the stove’s design is pure class.
The Ohuhu Stainless Steel Backpacking Stove does not have any extra features.
If you are looking for an affordable alternative to multipurpose cooking, you should consider Ohuhu Stainless Steel Backpacking Stove as an option.
While it costs less than a good plate of a meal, the stove can help you make hundreds of meals when you are in the wild. The design deserves special applause for usability.
Solo Stove Lite
- Type: Gasification Rocket Stove
- Size: 3.8” x 3.8” x 4.25”
- Material: 304 Stainless Steel
- Fuel: Wood, Gasoline
- Weight: 0.88lbs
When you are into hardcore survivalism, efficiency is an essential factor. You must get the most out of fuel, even if it is a bunch of twigs. If you are willing to spend extra for this extra efficiency, the Solo Stove Lite will be an excellent addition for you.
Many enthusiastic survivalists have shifted to the Solo Stove Lite after trying their luck with a conventional stove. We should also mention that the stove comes with a range of limitations.
- An innovative design ensures that the Solo Stove Lite gets a sufficient amount of air to boost the cooking process. It is one reason why the stove can offer some of the best water boiling times, among other things. This happens even when you have a low amount of fuel as well. As we said, the stove can increase efficiency to a great extent.
- We should say that the Solo Stove Lite’s extra price is a fantastic investment. You will not have to continuously purchase packaged fuel or white gas to power your survivalist adventures. Even if the emergency makes you stranded without any stores, this survival stove will help you keep up.
- The design indeed contains many techniques to improve the efficacy of cooking. However, the makers have done this without impacting the compactness. 304 stainless ensures that the stove is as lightweight as 0.88lbs and measures only 3.8” x 3.8” x 4.25”. It can handle many pots even if the weight varies by a long shot.
- We believe the multi-layer design of the Solo Stove Lite deserves another applause. The technique can ensure that the burning material is fully utilized before changing it. Thanks to the secondary burn system, the stove can improve the amount of heat while lasting a lot longer than you expect.
- There are times when the Solo Stove Lite becomes too small for the purpose. In that case, you have to get a larger variant.
You can connect the Solo Stove Lite with several accessories from the manufacturer. For instance, the Solo Stove Pot 900 offers the best performance, and you can use the space to store the stove. These accessories enhance efficiency or offer better convenience.
We can recommend the Solo Stove Lite without a doubt if efficiency is your priority. As you saw, the stove works just great and provides the right cooking environment for most people. By shifting to a more efficient stove, you can help the environment.
STADELHORN Titanium Minimalist Wood Stove
- Type: Wood Stove
- Size: 3.8” x 3.8” x 4.25”
- Material: Titanium
- Fuel: Wood
- Weight: 0.5lbs
The STADELHORN Titanium Minimalist Wood Stove is an excellent alternative for those who prioritize build quality over everything else. If you want to prepare for the worst disasters and need a portable stove to keep up, this titanium-made option is the best.
Thanks to the innovative design it comes with, you do not have to compromise efficiency. We should also mention that it is one of the highest-rated emergency stoves on Amazon.
- As the name says, the STADELHORN Titanium Minimalist Wood Stove is made using 100% titanium, which helps in two ways. First, the stove is more lightweight than the stainless steel counterparts. Two, the design can withstand a tremendous amount of force and power. For reference, the stove can handle up to 100lbs of weight.
- Even though you have to spend a little on this portable stove, the amount will be one of the worthiest investments ever. With regular usage, this product can last for decades. Even if you put it under too much pressure, the titanium-based construction will last for years. You should also note that it is heat and shatter-resistant.
- As icing on the cake, the STADELHORN Titanium Minimalist Wood Stove is very portable. You can fold the stove and place it in your bag and expand the system whenever you want. The design will ensure maximum heat distribution and easier lighting when you do. Of course, you do not have to keep worrying about fuel canisters.
- We also noticed that installing and using the titanium stove is very easy. Even if you are utterly new to survivalism, you can get started with the stove. Because the design supports natural kindling, you do not have to put too much effort, either. Although the design is standard, you can expect high efficiency from this package.
- Considering that the entire stove is made of titanium, the price is higher. This could be a problem for those who have a limited budget. On the other hand, if you are preparing a fully-fledged bugout bag, this stove is a must-have.
The STADELHORN Titanium Minimalist Wood Stove does not offer any extra features.
You should think about the STADELHORN Titanium Minimalist Wood Stove only if you can justify paying for better build quality. If we keep that aspect apart, the stove is not different from the other emergency stove systems in the market.
Survival Stoves FAQ
Why does any prepper need a stove?
During emergencies, you cannot have a constant supply of food. Nor can you carry enough ready-to-eat food for weeks or months.
Therefore, a prepper should have a survival stove. In that case, they can use the space to pack more raw material or even hunt and cook.
Can you cook on a survival stove?
You can cook on a survival stove. Most survival stoves are designed to support bigger pans as well as skillets. It means you can enjoy a smooth cooking experience. However, you may have to get a sturdier survival stove for this purpose.
How do you make your survival stove?
Depending on the availability of materials, you can make a survival stove using stones.
However, the stoves made in this way are not the most efficient option out there. They might have ventilation options and fail to provide enough heat/flame to cook correctly.
Should you opt for a wood or gas stove?
Ideally, you should have a hybrid stove. However, if you have to choose, we recommend going for a wood stove.
The reason is simple. You cannot expect a steady supply of gasoline or other types of packaged fuel during an emergency. On the other hand, you can easily find wood.
Like we mentioned in the introduction, we have included different types of survival stoves in the list.
Based on the level of prepping you are into, you can choose one or more of these solutions. However, if you are planning for a casual survivalist adventure, you should look for something sturdy.
As we said a couple of times, you should also consider the number of people the stove should serve. For instance, there is no point in getting an entry-level survival stove if you are prepping for a high-impact emergency as a family.
On the other hand, if you just want to stay on top of your fear using a simple bugout bag, a starter survival stove is enough.